1. NAME A COUPLE TO ACT AS GUARDIANS when you don't really want both people in the couple and you haven't said what should happen if the couple breaks up or one of the partners in the couple dies.
2. NAMING ONLY ONE POSSIBLE GUARDIAN leaves your kids at the mercy of your state if your first choice is not available.
3. NOT CONSIDERING FINANCIAL RESOURCES when deciding who should raise your children. Your guardians do not have to (and often should not) be financial decisions makers for your kids.
4. HAVING A WILL AS YOUR ONLY PLAN means the Court will distribute your money. It's totally public and doesn't protect you money from abuse or future threats like divorce or lawsuits.
5. NOT EXCLUDING PEOPLE YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT TO RAISE YOUR KIDS exposes your kids to risk if someone who looks good on paper-but who you would NEVER trust to care for your kids-tries to step in.
6. FAILING TO ASSIGN TEMPORARY GUARDIANS could result in your kids going into the foster care system while they wait for your permanent guardians to arrive.
Discover How You Can Fix These Mistakes and make Sure Your Children, Your Family and Your Money are Protected With A FREE Life & Legacy Planning Session (normally $750.00)
We understand that meeting with a lawyer isn't always high on your list of fun things to do.
Many of our clients felt the same way before their planning session, but absolutely LOVED it after they've experienced a Life & Legacy Planning Session with us.
They love the peace of mind that comes with knowing everything is set up the right way for themselves, their future and their loved ones.